Regarding long-term care insurance, the State Office for Assessment and Monitoring of the long-term care insurance (Administration d'évaluation et de contrôle – AEC) is tasked with the following duties:
- to issue opinions regarding the existence of a state of dependency, determine dependent persons' care and support requirements, and prepare summaries of the coverage that can be provided;
- to inform and advise;
- to check, ascertain and measure the compatibility between the coverage that is actually provided and that which is required;
- to check the quality of the coverage provided;
- to report on the quality of care provided to dependent persons;
- to provide on-demand expert advice to other public services.
The AEC will request information from applicants in order to be able to assess them, either at their home or in the long-term care facility where they reside.
Long-term care insurance is managed by the National Health Fund (Caisse nationale de santé – CNS).